Wednesday, November 10, 2010

One of our favorite Thanksgiving Recipes

I am having the big day here at my house this year, it's my first time so I have been a very busy nerd, researching various menu items, making lists, after lists of things I want/need to do, it really is exhausting.  While going over many ideas I have finalized our menu and I thought I would share this recipe with you and maybe a few more if I get the time.  This is one of those foods we only eat on Thanksgiving, I'm not sure why because we all love it, it tastes great fresh out of the oven or even cold almost like a dessert, it's not low fat at all, but who cares, I claim that Thanksgiving is a fat free, calorie free day, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

Sweet Potato Casserole

3 cups cooked sweet potatoes (peeled, cut up and boiled)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 stick of butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup milk

After potatoes are done, mash and mix in all other ingredients (I use an electric mixer) until well blended and spread into a casserole dish

Topping

1/2 stick of butter (melted)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup self-rising flour
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (I use pecans)

Mix all dry ingredients together, then add in butter, mix add more flour if mixture is not crumbly enough, sprinkle all over top of potato mixture.
Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

That's it, pretty easy peasy and that's just how I like it.  I am also going to try my hand at a couple homemade pies and a few other things, we'll see how it goes.

What about you, do you have any special food that you are looking forward to this Thanksgiving?  Have a great evening!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

not really sure why the text looks how it looks but I can't figure out how to fix it. The next post will be better.

Michelle

Faith said...

oh yummy...now YOU are making me hungry..there are so many good recipes going around the blogging world right now.....we love sweet potato casserole....thanks for sharing it!